Run For Office
Every day, the Chamber is advocating for your business interests, but we can’t do it alone. We need YOU to get involved! Here are tips to help you begin your journey into public office.
Things to consider before you run:
- Holding a public office position can be time consuming and labor intensive.
- If you have a family, consider how running for office will affect them and others in your life.
- Campaigning for public office is also time consuming and can be expensive.
- You will be in the public eye, both during your campaign and while in office.
- Identify ‘skeletons’ in your closet.
- What is your background?
- Carefully consider the position you want to run for.
- What are the requirements for your chosen position.
Resources for running for office:
How to get started:
- Review the legal documents required to run for your intended position.
- Determine your budget.
- Build your campaign team.
- Consider your position and continue to learn about important issues that are affecting the community.
- Research the opposition.
- Develop a clear strategy with your campaign team.
- Consider how you are going to get your message of change and improvements out to the public.
- Develop meaningful campaign literature that gets your name and message out.
- Practice debating as well as public speaking.
- Develop a shore, concise campaign slogan.